Moving to Japan

Nowship offers micro moving services to Japan for shipping essential personal effects to begin your new life in your new home.

If you are only moving a small amount of your valued goods in boxes or crates, our very small move solution is a perfect add on to get what's needed there fast.

Below are document requirements and information regarding Japan for your move. 

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects for Japan

Required Documents When Moving to Japan

  • Original Customs declaration form C5360
  • Copy of passport
  • Detailed packing list / inventory / commercial invoice in English or Japanese
  • Air waybill (AWB)

    Specific Information

    • The owner of the goods must be present in Japan prior to the Customs clearance.
    • The air shipment packing list requires a detailed value of the items.
    • Household goods and personal effects must be cleared within 6 months of the date of entry on the Customs declaration form C5360.
    • Two Customs declaration forms must be completed in duplicate for unaccompanied articles.
      • Both forms must be submitted to the officials at the accompanied baggage inspection area upon arrival in Japan.
      • One is used as the Customs record and the duplicate will be returned with an official seal.
    • This certified duplicate is required for clearance of the unaccompanied articles and shipments.
    • In the event the declaration form is not completed and certified by Customs officials upon entry, the shipment may be subject to duties and taxes.
    • Newly-purchased items are duty and tax free up to 200,000 in Japanese Yen / value per person, excluding an 8% consumption tax of the invoice.
    • The owner of the goods should keep receipts with English translation for new items, as duty and tax may apply.
    • Persons living in Japan for more than 1 year may import used household items and personal effects free of duties and taxes within specified timeframes.
    • Copy of passport includes all members of the family indicated on form C5360 with entry stamp, visa, photo and signature.
    • Original Customs declaration form C5360 certificated / stamped by Customs at airport of entry

Restricted and Dutiable Items to Consider When Moving to Japan

  • Medicines and cosmetics (e.g., pharmaceutical products; amount for use during a period of 2 months; quasi-drugs: 24 pieces)
  • Firearms (a permit is required) but are excluded from Nowship moves. Do not pack any firearms.

Prohibited Items

  • Opium, ether, narcotic drugs and utensils for opium smoking, and stimulants (including Vicks Inhalers and Sudafed)
  • Psychotropic substances (excluding those designated by an ordinance of the Ministry of Health and Welfare)
  • Counterfeit, altered, or imitated articles of coins, paper money, banknotes, or securities
  • Books, drawings, carvings, and any other article which injures public security or morals (obscene or immoral materials, pornography, etc.)
  • Articles which infringe upon rights in patents, utility-models, designs, trademarks, copyrights, neighboring rights, or layout design of integrated circuits
  • Firearms (pistols, rifles, machine guns, etc.) and ammunition (bullets) thereof, and parts of firearms
  • Weapons (swords, daggers, bows and arrows, etc. with blades more than 15 centimeters in length prohibited)

Cultural and Other Information

CIA World Factbook Entry for Japan

Wikipedia Entry for Japan


Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide and for information only. We make no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability for moves to Japan.