Moving to the United Kingdom
Nowship offers micro moving services to the United Kingdom. It is the perfect moving system for shipping what is essential. If you are only moving a small amount of your valued goods or if you have a larger move via ocean, our micro move solution is a perfect add on to get what's needed there fast.
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects for United Kingdom
- Legible copy of passport
- Detailed inventory in English, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Transfer of Residence (ToR) View application here
- Copy of bill of lading (BL) / air waybill (AWB)
- C426 with cover letter from respective embassy (diplomat)
Specific Information on Moving to the United Kingdom
- As of 1/1/17, owners of the goods must go online to apply for a Transfer of Residence (ToR).
- An approval will allow the owner of the goods to import their personal & household effects goods into the UK with relief from import duties and charges.
- Application must be made before packing shipment.
- Once approval is obtained, the owner of the goods will be given a Unique Reference Number (URN) which will need to be passed onto UK Customs in place of the previous customs form C3
- Documents must be received by agent prior to arrival of the shipment.
- The carrier may charge fees for incomplete or delayed receipt of documentation.
- Inherited goods require C1421 form, copy of death certificate, and copy of the living will
- You must submit the ToR application within 12 months of the date of entry into the UK.
- You can bring personal belongings or prive vehicles free of duty and tax as long as you:
- are moving your normal place of residence to the UK only
- have had your normal place of residence outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months
- have possessed and used the belongings for at least 6 months outside the EU before they're imported
Restricted/Dutiable Items for the United Kingdom
- Firearms, explosives, and ammunition
- Fruit, vegetable, and plant products
- Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (50), tobacco (250g)
- Spirits / liqueurs (more than 22% - 1 liter)
- Fortified wine or alcohol less than 22% (2 liters), still wine (4 liters), beer (16 L)
- Imitation firearms
- Offensive weapons
- Live animals
- Endangered animals or plants and products thereof (required a valid CITES permit)
- Fur skins and articles made from fur skin
- Radio transmitters
- Rough diamonds
- Animal food products
- Illicit drugs
- Self-defense sprays
- Stun guns
- Indecent and obscene material
- Counterfeit, pirated and patent-infringing goods
- Milk products from outside the European Union (England, Scotland)
Cultural and Other Information
CIA World Factbook Entry for United Kingdom
Wikipedia Entry for United Kingdom